Hsin-Hsin Huang, PhD, LCSW
- Pastoral/Spiritual Counselor
- EMDRIA Approved EMDR Consultant
- EMDRIA Certified EMDR Therapist
- Spiritual Director
• Dr. Huang speaks English, Mandarin, & Taiwanese fluently.
Education, Training, and Certification
- PhD degree in Counselor Education and Counseling from University of Missouri – St. Louis.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from Washington University in St. Louis.
- EMDRIA Approved EMDR Consultant; Certified EMDR Therapist. (For information about EMDR, please visit EMDRIA – EMDR International Association or EMDR Institute).
- Post-Graduate certificate (3 years of post-graduate training) in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy & Pastoral Counseling.
- Certificate in Spiritual Direction from Aquinas Institute of Theology.
- One year in the Child and Adolescent Psychodynamic Psychotherapy Program at the St. Louis Psychoanalytic Institute.
- Externship on Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples (Curriculum approved by Dr. Sue Johnson at the International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy; see ICEEFT).
- “BrainSpotting” Techniques taught by David Grand, PhD.
- Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist, National Board for Certified Clinical Hypnotherapists (2010).
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE – 1 Unit) at the Pastoral Care Department, St. Louis University Hospital, St. Louis.
- Sabbatical Certificate (graduate theological studies) at Aquinas Institute of Theology, St. Louis, MO.
Representative Professional Experiences
- Currently, psychotherapist and pastoral counselor since 1999.
- Currently, Associate Professor of Pastoral Theology, Aquinas Institute of Theology.
- Co-Chair, Associate Chair of Curriculum & Assessment, Department of Professional Counseling, Webster University.
- Assistant Professor at Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville, Department of Social Work.
- Adjunct Professor at Lindenwood University, Professional and School Counseling Department graduate program.
- Staff Counselor at Care and Counseling and Provident Counseling
- Workshop presenter for the National Association of Social Workers – Missouri Chapter Continuing Education programs.
- Instructor at Continuing Education, St. Louis Community College.
- PRN Chaplain at Barnes Jewish Hospital (Psychiatric & Chemical Dependence).
- Executive Director, Tainan Women’s Social Service Center.
Community Services (representative)
- Advisory Board Member, Department of Counseling and Family Therapy, University of Missouri – St. Louis
- Advisory Board Member, Department of Counseling and Family Therapy, Department of Counseling, Lindenwood University
- Board Member of the Bridges Foundation – The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola in Everyday Life. Spiritual/prayer companion and presenter for the Bridges programs. Program Committee member. Co-founder of the Magis Program. Chair of the Magis Program Planning Subcommittee.
- Board Member (Vice Chair) of St. Louis Christian Chinese Community Service Center
- Women’s Consultation on Economic Justice, General Assembly, Presbyterian Church USA: Committee member, Chair, Panel Moderator
- Presbytery of Giddings-Lovejoy, St. Louis, MO: Served as a member of the Mission and Services Committee, Ministry in the City Project, Women’s Concerns Committee
- National Taiwanese Presbyterian Young Adult (NTPYA), Roots and Wings Conference: Founding Member, Co-Chair, Chair
Awards & Honors (representative
- Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville, Spring 2012 Vaughn Vendegrift Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities (URCA) Research Mentor Award.
- University of Missouri – St. Louis: Outstanding Doctoral Student Award, 2010.
- Sherman Michael Anderson Trust: Sherman Michael Anderson Trust Scholarship Award for Excellence in Pastoral Counseling – National Award, 2000.
- Huang, H., & Pfuetze, M. (2021). Using EMDR to Address Social Anxiety with Clients Who Stutter: Treatment Considerations. Journal of EMDR Practice and Research, 15(1), 60-72.
- Huang, H. (2017). Identity Matters. The Presbyterian Outlook (October 20, 2017).
- Huang, H. (2017). ???????? (A God Who Loves Us, in Mandarin). ??? (New Messenger) (Issue 163, 2017).
- Huang, H., & Kashubeck-West, S. (2015). Exposure, agency, perceived threat, and guilt as predictors of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in veterans. Journal of Counseling & Development, 93, 3 – 13. DOI: 10.1002/j.1556-6676.2015.00176.x
- Kashubeck-West, S., & Huang, H. H. (2013). Social class relations with body image and eating disorders (pp. 197-217). In W. Liu (Ed.), The Oxford handbook of social class in counseling. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Huang, H. (2012). Five fantasy lives. In T. M. Lara, M. Pope, & C. W. Minor (Eds.), Experiential Activities for Teaching Career Counseling Classes and Facilitating Career Groups (Vol. 3, pp. 138-139). National Career Development Association.
- Huang, H. (2011). A rough entry into the Spiritual Exercises. Bridges Foundation Newsletter, 2011 Fall Issue, 1.
- Huang, H. (2010). Combat exposure, agency, perceived threat, guilt, and posttraumatic stress disorder among Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans. St. Louis, MO: University of Missouri- St. Louis.
- Huang, H., & Coker, A. D. (2010). Examining issues affecting African American participation in research studies. Journal of Black Studies, 40, 619-636.
- Huang, H. (Spring, 2009). Being an Asian American “other”: My emerging racial identity.
Journeys, 11, 5.
Presentations on YouTube (click on the links to access the videos
- Presented at the Magis Program (Oct. 2012): Psychological Understanding of Personal Sin – First Week of the Spiritual Exercises
- Presented at the Magis Program (Jan. 2017): Riches, Honor, and Pride
- Presented at the Magis Program (Jan. 2017): Three Phases of Humility
- Presented at the Magis Program (March, 2019): Living the Paschal Mystery
- Understanding the Process of Transformation as Immigrants through the Story of Exodus, presented at the Taiwanese Christian Church Council of North America (TCCCNA) 2012 Annual Leadership Institute.(in Taiwanese) ????????????????
- Family of Origin and Images of God, presented at the Taiwanese Christian Church Council of North America (TCCCNA) 2012 Annual Leadership Institute. (in Taiwanese) ????????????